I’ve seen several requests recently for how to Group a Sharepoint list by Month. I’ve also seen several Blog posts on how to do it. But recently I saw a query about how to Group by the Week Number of the year and several responses stating that it couldn’t be done. I’ve always liked a good challenge, especially one that someone else says is IMPOSSIBLE. So I decided ot figure out how to do it. The results are below.
- Make sure the list has a column that contains the Date you wish to GroupBy. I’ll use the Start Time column of a standard Event list but you can use any Date/Time column. You don’t need to filter out the Time portion first, it will be ignored.
- Add a Calculated column to the list called ‘WeekNumber’ that uses the following formula:
where [Start Time] is the date column whose week you want to group by.
- Set the data type of the Calculated Column to Number with 0 decimal places
- Create the view that you want Grouped by Week.
- SORT the view by [Start Time] and GROUPBY the [WeekNumber] column.
You’ll get a view that looks something like this: